Blogs are best run around “passion” topics like hobbies, interests, skills where there’s a wide range of content ideas to cover.
However, you still need a focused niche. You can’t just blog about everything and anything if you want to make money from it.
This means, your blog is filled with problem-solving content that aims to educate your audience designed to nudge them onto your email list where you continue to educate them and build trust and authority.
Through this process, your audience trusts you enough to buy problem-solving products you recommend to them. They become raving fans and loyal supporters who make repeat purchases and by everything you recommend without hesitation.
What is the Blog Business Model?
Actually, blogs are great because they are not limited to one traffic source (like Google for example) or one income source (like affiliate marketing for example).
Why? Because they can be diversified and safeguarded from Google algorithm updates and affiliate network changes (commission drops or bans) and they are an evergreen business model and a scalable asset you can sell for a high figure in the future.
The great thing is this, you can drive traffic from Google, social media, content marketing, forums and blogs, paid ads, your email list, push notifications and more.
And even better, you can make money from affiliate marketing, digital products, recurring offers (membership sites etc), ad clicks, tools & software, coaching, services and more.
So as you can see, this is a desirable, evergreen, and potentially very lucrative business model that you can make money from now and forever. Usually, most users enjoy the blogging model and it’s the main business model I focus on now.
How Blog Business Model Delivers Value To The User
You’re aiming to become one of the top authority sites on your chosen topic meaning your end user gets informed, educated, and their problems solved.
This is a high-value business model that really benefits people AND makes you money. You can be proud of this website and turn it into a really great business which is a benefit to the internet and the people in your niche.
Profit Potential for Blogging Business is High
There’s really no limit to the profit for an blog. The limitations which exist with smaller “affiliate sites” or other models don’t exist with this model.
You can drive traffic from multiple sources to diversify and safeguard your traffic.
And you can monetize using multiple affiliate networks, selling digital products, Adsense or other ad networks, and monthly recurring offers and membership sites.
And as you’re focused on a niche as a whole and not just on a single product you have unlimited scope for products to recommend and make money from. By stacking your income sources you’re increasing your potential monthly income.
Limitations & Risks of Blogging Business Model
This is one of the most risk-free online business models. You’re not reliant on one traffic or income source. You can easily build a community around your email list and social platforms.
You aren’t at risk from Google algorithm updates and there’s no need for “blackhat” SEO or other shady activities which could come back to haunt you later.
Pros & Cons of Blogging Business
This is a long term, evergreen, business model that has no expiry date. As long as people are interested in your niche and looking for information online you’ll be relevant.
- Unlimited Income Potential
Due to the ability to diversify and stack income sources, you have no limit on how much income you can make.
- A Website You Can Be Proud Of
This is a genuine asset that helps solve peoples problems and is a benefit to the internet.
- Diversified Traffic
You’re not just reliant on one traffic source like SEO or Social Media or Affiliates but on a mix of scalable, diversified, sources meaning you’re not at risk of going out of business overnight because you’re only traffic source disappeared.
- Time Consuming
If you plan to do everything yourself this business model can take up a lot of time HOWEVER the pay-off is worth it knowing your time and effort won’t go to waste and be short lived like with some other business models.
- More Upfront Work
This takes a little longer to get started than some other business models but you can still start small, launch, and grow as you go.
- Expensive If You Plan To Outsource
If you want to outsource all your content it can get expensive quickly as authority content is not usually cheap.
Startup Cost to Start Blog Business
If you decide to go with the optional choices of buying keyword research tools, outsourcing content, and using tools for outreach and link building this cost will increase dramatically.
- Web hosting (from as low as $5 p/m) [$60 for 12 months]
- Domain ($12 for 1 year)
- Theme + Plugins (less than $199 one off fee)
- Email Autoresponder (from as low as $9.99 p/m) [$120 for 12 months]
- Email Optin Tool (from $9.99 p/m) [$120 for 12 months]
- Custom Theme Design – $50 one off fee.
- Keyword Research Tools (From $25p/m for LongTailPro to $145p/m for AHREFS depending on the tool you choose)
- Content Creation ($10 to $300 per 1,000 word post depending on quality and experience of the writer)
- Outreach Tools
- Writing – for writing your informative content.
- Basic Copywriting – for writing persuasive content that converts traffic into email subscribers.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – for ranking your content in Google to get traffic.
- Keyword Research – to find the highly searched keywords with buyer intent that are easy to rank in Google.
- Research – to find the pros and cons of a product and the problem it solves for the end-user.
- Website building – as with all online businesses. The good news, using WordPress makes it point and click easy.
- Outreach / Networking – to network with others in your niche for relationships, traffic, and backlinks.
- List Building & Email Marketing – to build your email list and use it to drive traffic back to your site and make sales.
Example Sites Using This Business Model
- AuthorityHacker.com (Authority Site)
- SurvivalLife.com (Survivalists & Preppers)
- AsianEffieciency.com (Productivity)
- PinchOfYum.com (Cooking)
- IwillTeachYouToBeRich.com (Personal Finance)
- MuscleForLife.com (Bodybuilding)
- NicheHacks.com (Niche Marketing)
- SaltStrong.com (Fishing)
- IceCreamScience.com (Ice Cream Making)
- TravelFashionGirl.com (Travel Fashion For Women)
- EveryHomeRemedy.com (Home Remedies)
Proof That Business Model is Successful
This section is designed to show you there is money to be made from this business model.
- SurvivalLife.com was grown from $0 to $6 million by the DigitalMarketer team despite the fact they weren’t experienced, Survivalists.
- PinchofYum a cooking authority site makes over $40,000 per month from ad clicks, affiliate marketing, and selling digital products.
- JustAGirlAndHerBlog, a site on home organization and DIY makes over $30,000 per month mostly from affiliate marketing and also products and services.
- MakingSenseOfCents a site about living a frugal lifestyle earns over $100,000 per month
- HerePup.com, an authority site on dog care is making over $7,000 per month.
- This MMA (mixed martial arts) authority site sold for over $19,000 on Flippa.
- Parenting Advice “Tots Family” sold for $50,000
- PreppersJournal, a site about prepping, sold for $159,000.
- This crafts and home décor advice sold for $20,000.
As you can see there’s a lot of sites here, in wide ranging niches and markets, making a lot of money and also selling for high multiples.
Niche Markets For Blogging Business
Blogs can really be created on almost any topic but work best with passion topics. They work particularly well for any niches in the “big 4” markets of wealth, health, relationships, and self-improvement as there are almost endless topics to be covered on those subjects.
And are also great for any hobby, activity, skill, work-related or passion niches.
Some example niches this business model would work in are included below,
just be sure to get focused and pick a specific target audience / demographic within these niche markets.
- Online Marketing
– Affiliate Marketing
– Membership Sites
- Weight Loss & Diets
– Weight Loss For Women
- Health & Beauty
– Joint Pain
– Gut Health
– Brain Trainin
– Diabetic Recipes
– Mole Removal
- Personal Finance & Money
– Retirement Planning
- Cooking & Recipes
– Gluten Free
– Diabetic Recipies
– Mexican Food
– Law of Attraction
- Sustainable Living
– Urban Farming
– Backyard Chickens
– Solar Panels
– Guitar Playing
- Pet Care
– Backyard Chickens
– Dog Care
– Cat Care
– Natural Dog Food
– Smart Phone
Monetization Model for Blogging Business
- Affiliate Marketing
Recommend physical or digital products that solve problems people in your niche have.
– Product Reviews.
– Product Comparisons.
– Discount Coupons & Deals.
– Email Funnels For Product Launches & Digital Products.
- Ad Networks
Google Adsense, Outbrain, Tabaloo, etc.
- Digital Products
Selling your own Info-products, courses, ebooks, reports, blueprints, how-to guides, plans, etc.
Coaching, mentorship, consultations, etc.
- Recurring Income
Membership sites, newsletters, tools & software, courses.
As you can see there’s really no limit to the different monetization methods you can use or the potential income you can make.
Traffic Sources and Strategy For Blogging Business
The blogging model offers a wide and diversified range of traffic sources.
- Google & Search
- Content Marketing (Guest Posting, Outreach, Expert Round-ups)
- Forums, Blogs & Social Media Platforms In Your Niche
- Paid Ads (Facebook, Youtube Ads, Google Adwords, Outbrain etc)
- Your Email List
1. Google & Search
Your informational content will rank in Google and draw in visitors which you’ll nudge onto your email list with a compelling “lead magnet” (free email incentive) and then continue drive them back to your content and your money pages and offers.
SEO Traffic Strategy
- Use the “Skyscraper Technique” to find popular content in your niche and then create something similar but bigger and better.
- outreach to the people who linked to the original piece of content and tell them about your new improved piece of content to pick up links.
- Create and rank “how to” content, list posts, ultimate guides and expert round ups, all these are good for picking up links.
2. Content Marketing
Aim to create some of the best content in your niche that makes you stand out as an authority and passionate lover of your topic.
Create “ultimate guides” and content that improves on all the best content in your niche as well as unique content ideas other website haven’t covered.
Have expert roundups featuring the authorities and influencers in your niche by asking them all the same question (a burning question your audience really want to know the answer to) and publish it.
3. Social Platforms & Forums
Identify the best social platforms and forums in your niche where your target audience hang out.
Such as Facebook Groups, Pinterest Board, Sub-Reddits and Forums and become a valued contributor to the groups answering questions and providing value.
Over time you’ll be able to drive traffic back to your site and become known as an authority to listen to in the groups.
Also, create your own Facebook Group from day 1 and build your own thriving community where you share your content, ask questions and engage.
The great thing about the authority model is that you have a lot more control over your income sources and not just limited to tiny affiliate commission payouts you will, over time if not straight away, be able to pay for traffic and still get a return on your investment.
Identify the platforms where your audience hang out and run ads to get them back to your site.
5. Email List
Remember, all real businesses have a customer list and online that is your email list. Your email list is CRUCIAL with the Authority Model.
Because you’re building an email list around a specific niche and a focused group of people it’s PERFECT for building an email list.
Offer a lead magnet that solves one of your audience’s core problems.
Then use your list to continually drive traffic back to your content (old and new) and promotions and money content.
This way you get repeat visits and traffic growth and can make repeat sales over and over instead of just one off sales from people visiting your site once then never coming back.
Types of Content Needed For Blogging Business
1. Informational Content
Content is not designed to sell or make money but to answer the big questions your audience has and solve their problems.
E.g. “How To” content, tutorials, list posts, case studies, and so on.
- It’s a clear, step by step, guide with pictures and videos on how to escape handcuffs with a paper clip.
- Good use of images and videos to show how to do the task.
- It’s short but straight to the point telling you what you need to do.
2. List Content
- People love numbered lists posts, for some reason they just really appeal to our brain (perhaps because we know exactly what to expect and where the post will end)
- Good use of images to break the post up.
- Clearly labelled to show you the 10 things promised in the headline.
- Good, straight to the point, advice offering what it promises.
3. Reviews Content
You can review affiliate products on your website of physical products, services, or tools.
- Written with clear knowledge and experience of the product.
- Show pictures with the product to prove that they’ve used it.
- Big, clear, images of the product that were personally taken and not just stock or manufacturer images.
- Covers all the important aspects of the product.
- A video showing the product in action is a nice touch.
- Reviewer says “I won’t bore you with all the details the manufacturer has written about that as you can read it on their website…” and then focuses on just telling you what’s important to YOU as a reader.
4. Product Comparisons Content
Comparing 2 similar products side by side to see which is best, works best with physical products, software and services (like credit cards, airlines, insurance etc)
- Clearly covers all the different product options for this activity.
- Talks about the pro’s and con’s of each and why each would be useful.
- Clear table comparison covering important details of each product.
- Focuses not only on features but the problem each shoe solves e.g. “these are perfect for long days sightseeing on cobbled European streets which hurt your feet”.
5. Case Studies & Data-Driven Posts
Authority sites can really prove their authority by providing case studies and data-driven posts showing that they put into action what they talk about.
So if you run an online marketing blog you share your results/income.
If you run a weight loss site you share your case studies of your audience members who’ve put your system into place and lost weight.
If you run a “travel hacking” blog you share how you saved money on airlflights and hotels.
- In-depth, unique, case study that required lots of work on the writers part.
- No one else is running these types of experiments so this is unique “authority” content that will really make you stand out in your niche.
- Good use of images and graphs to display the data and information.
- Solves a real issue many readers of this blog will have and gives them solutions.
- Makes you stand out from the generic site owners just writing theory posts or posts with no depth.
How To Differentiate From Your Competitors
Focus on Building a Long Term Mutually Beneficial Relationship
Instead of thinking about how YOU can make a quick buck now at the expense of your audience instead focus on how you can benefit your reader in the long term and they’ll happily purchase from you over and over.
Think What Your Perfect Audience Members End Result Is
Your audience member are all looking for an end result, an escape from the situation they find themselves in now and a transformation to a new life where they are happy and everything is perfect.
For example, depending on your niche it could be:
- To be wealthy.
- To be free from a job.
- To be slim and look good.
- To be a better parent.
- To be fit and healthy and live longer for your family and kids.
- To get a status boost.
- To be the best golf player among their friends.
No one is visiting your website just for fun. No one wants to buy products.
Everyone has a problem(s) they want to be solved and that’s why their visit your site. Think about what your audience’s perfect end result would be and how you can take them from where they are not to that place.
Then figure out how you can deliver that to them. This is how you’ll build a REAL, long-term, evergreen, and SERIOUSLY profitable business that wipes out all your competition and focus only on short-term gains, easy money, and surface-level issues.
Use Your Content To Attract Visitors Onto Your Email List
Most people will try to build a website full of monetized content, covered in ads and affiliate links. This is stepping over dollars to get at pennies.
Use your content to nudge people onto your list where you give more value, build a relationship and trust, and then can make money for potentially a lifetime.
Email Marketing Strategy for Blogging Business
It’s vital to mail regularly and build a relationship with your subscriber as soon as they have joined your list as this is when they are at their most interested. There’s nothing worse than signing up for an email list then nothing happens…no emails, no communication, no idea what to expect.
You being to wonder whether it even worked and if you’re signed up properly or not. The relationship, trust, and bond is won or lost in the first couple of weeks so don’t miss out on that opportunity.
- Email 1: Welcome email – Thank them for joining, tell them what to expect from you by being on your email list, and ask them to whitelist your email address.
- Email 2: Survey Email – Ask what their biggest problem / frustration / question is right now and promise to reply with an answer.
- Email 3 to 10: Expose Them To Your Content – Link back to your problem solving and money content.
- Emails 10+: Regularly send out emails of new posts, surveys and question emails to get feedback from your audience, and email exclusive tips.
We would recommend you mail at least 3 times per week to stay fresh in the mind of your audience.
Social Media Strategy for Blogging Business
- Find communities on Facebook / Pinterest / Reddit / Instagram / Forums that focus on deals / bargain / money saving and get involved with them so you can, after becoming trusted there, you can share your links.
- You should also build your own social communities around your site on the platforms your visitors are most prevalent on.
- Build a Facebook Group for your brand where people interested in your niche would want to hang out to find out more, network, be informed and entertained.
- Share your content, others in your niche’s content, videos and images related to your topic.
- Start relevant discussions and ask questions to engage your audience.
- Think about what burning questions they need answered and try to answer them in the group.
- Post multiple times per day (easily automated with tools like Buffer & Hiplay App) so there’s a constant flow of content and reasons for people to visit frequently and engage.
Check more helpful articles:
How To Build A Web 2.0 Private Blog Network
How to Use Keywords to Optimize Your Blog Posts
Why WordPress Site Page Speed Important ?
15 SEO Link Building Method: Help You Rank on Google
How To Find Profitable Niche – Rank in SERP
With the blogging model you can build a long term, evergreen, REAL business around the model on a topic you love and are passionate about (or you can just pick a profitable topic you don’t care about but have found to be profitable) that isn’t at risk of going out of business.
Traffic for sites like this is diversified and easy to come by. You’re not reliant on Google or any other one source.
Your income has no limit and is diversified due to the different models available from affiliate marketing to digital product sales to membership sites and ad networks.
It’s also scalable and replicable in multiple niches. This is a future-proof business model we believe gives you the most chance of success online.
Consider Following a Course ?
With Lifetime Access ?
We have been the number 1# platform for delivering most demanding course. Becoming Lifetime Member , You will receive all the Premium content For FREE
Consider Following a Course ? With Lifetime Access ?
We have been the number 1# platform for delivering most demanding course. Becoming Lifetime Member , You will receive all the Premium content For FREE